In my best Stephanie Tanner (from Full House) voice “How Rude” is something I’ve had to say a lot lately.
What ever happened to common courtesy? People seem to not care about anyone but themselves. As much as I try to not take things personal, sometimes I’m known to get vocal when I feel I’ve been wronged. I’m quick to make comments like “Oh thank you so much for holding the door” or “Oh excuse me, I didn’t realize I was in your way.”
Clearly some people either do not have the proper home training to function in a society of decent people or they simply do not care. Whatever it is I’m not ashamed of making my disapproval known. If you’ve never done it you should try it sometime. I hope people will get the hint.
So I’ve come up with a list of some of the things I can’t stand but have to deal with all of the time. I’m sure I’m not the only one either.
I can’t stand when…
- People don’t hold the door or elevator – Really you heard me walking right behind you, you could have held the door.
- You hold the door for someone and they either just walk through without touching it, they don’t say thank you, or both. It really doesn’t take that much time to say those two little words “Thank You.”
- I go to the bathroom at work, and someone didn’t flush the toilet. It’s not like they flushed it and everything didn’t go down (sorry to be graphic), it’s that they didn’t bother to even attempt to flush it. Do you do that at your house? If so, that’s nasty!
- People touch food. If you touch it you take it, especially when you know you didn’t wash your hands.
- Going into a shop or grocery store and the workers don’t speak. I’ve worked in retail for many years, and the first thing you’re taught is customer service, which includes greeting customers. If you can get that right maybe you need to work some place else that doesn’t require verbal skills. Maybe become a mime.
- I speak to someone and they either smirk, give a head nod, or don’t reply at all. If I say Hi you need to mouth some type of words back to me.
- Someone bumps me or steps on my foot and acts like they did nothing wrong. You’d think it really hurts some people’s souls to just say “I’m sorry”. If someone has an object in their hand and accidentally bumps you that’s one thing, but when someone knowingly bumps/touches you if they had an decency they’d simply apologize or at least acknowledge what happened.
- People who chew with their mouths open. Didn’t your Mother teach you when you were like four years old to chew with your mouth closed? What about chewing and smacking on food is deemed appropriate? No one wants to hear you munching on chips or popping gum, that’s just disgusting.
- People who stand too close. There’s no reason I should be able to feel someone’s breath on the back of my neck (unless I know them). If I turn 90 degrees and I can touch you that means clearly you are too close. Back Up!
That’s all for now. What other forms of human indecency bother you?